Tuesday 17 December 2013

Ultimate Swedish Glögg Tasting 2013


Glögg is Swedish mulled wine that the Swedes enjoy during the Jul season.  It comes in either a stronger version available at the systembolaget and a lighter version (2.2%) available at the grocery store.  We decided to try out a few of the lighter version and report on how they faired.  I have to say that after this taste test I was inspired to make my own (strong) glögg ... a little closer to the weekend.  So you lushes will have to sit tight until later this week to bust out the real booze.  Until then, let's keep it lagom*.

No. 1

Dulvenkrooks Chili Choklad


Dulvenkrooks Chili Choklad

 
The top place goes to a flavoured glögg and with that Design Stockholm's findings fail to meet the requirements of a controlled study but this isn't exactly dissertation material either.  So Dulvenkrooks Chili Choklad is my favorite.  It has lots of punch and character.  You don't drink a lot of this stuff so you might as well make it count.




No. 2

Blossa


Blossa


Last Christmas some Swedish friends of mine broke out into song with "B-L-O-S-S-A, glöggen heter Blossa".  So there it is. Blossa is the go-to glögg over here.  They have that catchy tune and they make different labels for each Jul season.  I guess we need to give them some credit for their marketing clout but how does it taste?  Good.  I like it.  In fact it has a piney flavor that reminds me a bit of Greek retsina (I think I may have revealed something very telling about myself with that).



No. 3

Dulvenkrooks Original


Dulvenkrooks Original


Dulvenkrooks Original is a tasty glögg with a bit of a kick so you know it will warm you up on a cold December night.  Nice.



No. 4

Per Morberg


Per Morberg


Upon further research on this glögg I discovered that it is made by a very famous (and temperamental ) actor and chef here in Sweden and I think the picture on the label is supposed to be an elf version of Per.  So here I am giving it the No. 4 spot.  If he were here right now I'd be in deep sh*t but I'm sticking to my decision.  It is just simply too mild.  Ok fine, we'll call it "smooth" but its elegance is lost on me.  I guess I'm just not refined enough to appreciate it.




No. 5

COOP 


COOP Glogg
 
 
Didn't think it had much kick at all.  Maybe a little closer to retirement.
 


* Lagom is a Swedish term meaning "just the right amount", a constant reminder to "keep yourself in check".
 

No comments:

Post a Comment