Friday 27 December 2013

Swedish Countryside Mudroom at Christmas Time


Things are quiet these days.  People are enjoying time with family and loved ones.  We are spending our holidays at the country house.  It was an unusually nice day yesterday and after many days of rain combined with the seasonally short days I couldn't help but take some pictures of the house.  We've been fixing up the country house for nearly 2 years now and the mudroom, while still not completely finished, is one of my favorite transformations. 


The country house has always been a special retreat for the family at Christmas time and that is something I've kept in mind when designing each of the common spaces.  The red paint is custom, mixed with rödfärg and black facade paint (click here for the recipe).  The draft curtains were shipped with us from Toronto and are a thick, wonderful linen, which I managed to get for a steal from Robert Allen.  The patchwork of rugs are from a late beloved Aunt.  The elk head was found in the forest near the house this summer.  I couldn't help but think that the elk was a little gruesome so I painted it a shimmering grey-blue, which is carried out in accents throughout the house.


and those are the pea green wellies I mentioned here.

No comments:

Post a Comment