Friday 8 March 2013

Stockholm Design Week 2013 - A Quick Note on Lighting

I wanted to share a quick note about some of the lighting that stood out for me at the Stockholm Furniture and Lighting Fair 2013 before we wrap up my thoughts on Stockholm Design Week 2013 with the Knitting House.

Pineapple Lamp 

by Frank Kerdil

Pineapple by Frank Kerdil


Frank Kerdil's Pineapple lamp was clearly inspired by the iconic PH Lampe and Artichoke lamp by Danish designer Poal Henningsen circa 1925.  All designers pull inspiration from somewhere, often their heros, but the similarities here are a little too close for me.  Marcel Duchamp might argue that because of a slight variation (each segment is pointier than those found on Henningsen's Artichoke), the design is basically up for grabs.  Sure, maybe.  I will give Kerdil credit for his variation of making the segments into different images, which he calls the Magazine.  It certainly follows the patchwork trend so popular this year and is a playful nod to the original Henningsen design.




PH Lampe by Poal Henningsen
Magazine by Frank Kerdil
Artichoke by Poal Henningsen



Hope

by Gomez Paz, Francisco Rizzatto, Paolo

Hope by Gomez Paz, Francisco Rizzatto, Paolo
Hydrangea

The Hope pendant is stunning to see in person.  It really is a show stopper.  My first thought was that it reminds me of a hydrangea, yet looks so futuristic.  Hope is made of specially engineered plastic, which you can read about here.  It is a lovely blend of organic shape and ultra sleek design.  This lamp would look great in either a contemporary chic aesthetic or in a cozy country setting.




Kumulus Ljuskrona*

by Peter Nilsson


Kumulus Ljuskrona by Peter Nilsson

Mid-century glass candy dish
Nilsson's Kumulus does not conform to the typical Scandinavian minimalist look and I can't help but think that his fellow Swedes might have him committed for this piece.  Almost a Beethoven of the lighting world, really.  But I love it.  It reminds me of the mid-century glass candy dishes my Grandmother had throughout her house when I was a kid.  On special occasions there were candies there but most of the time there were odds and ends (buttons, paper clips, etc.) and it was a kick to check in at each visit to see what new treasure might be stashed there.  You can read Nilsson's own thoughts on his design here.
  
*Glossary - Ljuskrona

In the Swedish language, when they needed to create a word, often rather than choose a whole new word, they just took two other words and squished them together.  Ljuskrona directly translated means "light crown" but that is how the Swedes refer to a chandelier. 

3 comments:

  1. How refreshing and inspiring it would be to see Peter Nilsson's chandlier over your dining table. Minimalism carries the meaning of purity and simplicity. It never denotes "joy" to me. Nilsson's work is joyous.
    Thanks for introducing him to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It proved to be Very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commentators here! https://lightsonclub.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey what a brilliant post I have come across and believe me I have been searching out for this similar kind of post for past a week and hardly came across this. Thank you very much and will look for more postings from you. ledopensigns.com

    ReplyDelete